WHO WE ARE
In 1957 God stirred the hearts of a small group of people to help establish a church on the northeast side of Indianapolis. Led by a young pastor, Wendell Heller, they formulated their statement of faith, found an old church building, and organized church services. Their goals were to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to the surrounding community and to exalt His name. As they prayed for and shared the gospel with neighbors and friends, the congregation grew. In 1958 they tore down the old church and built a new one in its place. A few years later they added a larger sanctuary to accommodate their growing numbers. In the 1960s and 1970s their opportunities to reach the community multiplied. A youth program, children's Bible school, radio broadcasts, a prison ministry, a counseling ministry-all helped them to proclaim the redeeming power of Jesus Christ. In 1976 Colonial Christian School began and additional property was purchased across the street from the church. Then in 1985 the congregation dedicated a new sanctuary on this property. In 1989 Colonial Hills Baptist Church changed leadership. Dr. Heller began an itinerant ministry to other churches and foreign mission fields, and Dr. Bob Taylor was called to be the senior pastor. Under his teaching, the congregation continued to grow in understanding of and obedience to God's Word. In August of 2009, Dr. Taylor retired after twenty years of ministry, and Dr. Charles Phelps became the senior pastor. For over fifty years, Colonial Hills Baptist Church has enjoyed and testified of the abundant riches of God's grace.